Welcome to my blog.

My blog expresses my views and thoughts and in no way intends to offend however that does not guarantee it wont.

I write in a stream of consciousness and sometimes the odd typo or bad grammar may appear - please excuse these.

Please feel free to leave a comment if something inspires you to do so.




Saturday, June 26, 2010

Life At It's End

Today I took my eldest daughter down to visit her Nanna, who now is close to leaving this Earthly place. She was my mother in law for a few years and Nanna to my daughter for 37.

Life is a complicated thread, there are many knots, frayed bits and even breaks that happen along the road from birth to death. My relationship with M has been a little like this, strong to start with, frayed and then broken when her son and I divorced and rekindled a couple of times in the years that have passed since then.

M's life has been long, sometimes hard, especially the last 6 or so years since she lost the man she loved, the man that was her rock. She drifted quite quickly onto a slope of decline to dementia. I had the opportunity to visit her last year when she was still mostly able to function. But to see the confusion in her eyes, to hear to mind wander back and forth, to see her search and get frustrated when she couldn't find the word she needed - that was hard. She put her hand upon my knee and looked at me and said - stay young, this getting old is bad.

Today I saw her, sedated, breathing raggedly, skin and bones there in the bed and wondered why her body was keeping her here. She is 87 years old.

I pray she soon departs, to return to the arms of the man who is waiting for her somewhere. Rest peacefully when you finally leave us M.


7 comments:

  1. My thoughts are with M and all her family, many of whom I have met over the years. I do hope the end is peaceful for her and her loved ones will find content knowing she is no longer suffering in any way. Rest peacefully dear lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post Kakka. The end of our journey here on earth is often difficult, as the body falters. I wish M peace as she makes this last transition, and your family as well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So poignant, the last moments of a life. Go gently xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope she finds a release and some peace soon. And you too.'

    Thank you Karen, for your comments today. Looks like we are all in a little grey spot.

    I hope you are OK? xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying {because wishing sounds a bit daft} for safe passage for her. Beautiful post you. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for your wishes. M passed away in during Sunday night. Now at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sad when you know that being here is not the best thing for them any more.
    At least she is at peace now.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails