Welcome to my blog.

My blog expresses my views and thoughts and in no way intends to offend however that does not guarantee it wont.

I write in a stream of consciousness and sometimes the odd typo or bad grammar may appear - please excuse these.

Please feel free to leave a comment if something inspires you to do so.




Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Sisters

When I was growing up I always fantasied about having a sister, or maybe even more than one. It didn't matter if they were older or younger. I just always felt that sisters would always be there for me unlike brothers of which I had one.

Maybe it was Little Women that started that train of thought, although it seems to me that I wanted a sister a long time before I read that book. As fate would have it no sisters eventuated and my brother stopped talking to the family nearly 7 years ago.

Recently though I realised that I did indeed have many sisters in my life, some are older, some are younger and none of them are related to me by blood. Now some of these sisters I only see occasionally but it doesn't matter because time makes no difference to sisters. Some of my sisters I work with and once I stop working I may not see them again although some I am sure I will. Each of these sisters is important in my life.

I have one sister I have known since I was 16 - she is the cousin of my first husband and is 5 years older than me - she has always been there for me just as I am for her. We spent a lot of time together when our children were young, less time now we both work, but when we do see each other it's like we have never been apart. She is one of my older sisters and I know I can always count on her to be in my life and to be there through thick or thin. I would like to thank her for being part of my life for so many years and for all the times she has stood by me. She is the sister I would have entrusted my children to if anything had happened to both my husband and myself when the kids were young.

I have another sister who is also 5 years older than me and she is the aunty of my 'now' hubby and yes she is only 5 years older then him as well. Now this sister I didn't have a close relationship with until about 8 years ago, because she lives in Victoria and we live in Perth and we really never got to see each other much until my f-i-l died. She is my fun sister - we have lots of laughs together and I really look forward to spending time with her when we get to Victoria to visit as it is almost like we are on the same wave-length. She was also an amazing help when my m-i-l died and kept us sane through the whole process. She was on a plane over to help just as soon as she could after getting the news and while we cried together we also still had lots of laughs - just what I needed at the time. I would like to thank this sister for all the laughs and for just being herself all the time.

I have a another sister - about 4 years younger than me who is the ex-wife of my hubby's once best friend - that is a story better not mentioned here. This sister has been in my life for over 20 years, but it is really only in the last 8-10 years that we have become close enough to be sisters. She is my spiritual sister, she is the one that knows all things mystical and spiritual and has taught me much over the years I have known her. She is another sister that I don't see every week, but again time makes no difference to our relationship. She also lets me be her big sister - although she has some real ones herself. I would like to thank her for allowing me to give advice and to be a big sister to someone, it is a nice feeling that someone trusts you enough to share their secrets. I would also like to thank her for her continued support of me.

I have another sister who is about 5 years younger than me who is my workmate. We have known each other for over 10 years, but it is only really in the last 18 months since she came to work on our office that our relationship has grown into one of sisterhood. Even though she is younger than me, she is so wise and so in some ways seems like an older sister. I would like to thank her for listening when I need to unload, for her advice and support when tackling the issues we face at work. She is a sister that even when I leave work I will keep in touch with as she, like my other sisters mentioned here are with me for the long journey.

There are also other sisters that won't be mentioned here and maybe that is because they are shorter term sisters - time will tell.

I believe that not achieving my fantasy when I was a child has served me well, after all real life sisters sometime fight and struggle for dominance in a family when they are growing up and it is not until they are adults that they find their places in each others lives.

My sisters are the sisters the universe has given me and for that I am truly thankful.


4 comments:

  1. I, too, have no sisters but a handful of very close friends whom I rely on. One, in particular, I talk to daily and would struggle without.

    Treasure these people in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, K. I have 2 sisters (by blood) and absolutely no relationship with them at all.

    But there are women that mean so much more to me - the women who fulfil that role I'd always imagined my sisters would.

    It is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sisters by choice I call them.

    How are you doing big sister? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. I am lucky enough to be blessed with two sisters who are both fabulous, and I also have a wide network of sisters by choice. Life would be so much poorer without them all.

    Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails