Welcome to my blog.

My blog expresses my views and thoughts and in no way intends to offend however that does not guarantee it wont.

I write in a stream of consciousness and sometimes the odd typo or bad grammar may appear - please excuse these.

Please feel free to leave a comment if something inspires you to do so.




Monday, March 8, 2010

Memories on Monday - When I Turned 12

The year I turned 12 was a year of change for me. I started at a new school, in Year 7 which here in Perth is the final year of primary school.

My parents divorced and my mother re-married. I had to get used to having a step-father, who actually is a fantastic man, but boy did I give him curry that year - sorry Pop.

I wore my first bra for a few hours (a 2nd hand training bra from my cousin) even though I did not need one - but all the other girls were getting boobs and I wasn't, so tissues filled it out - LOL.

I missed all my school friends from my old school and never really made any at the new ones, thankfully that changed the following year when I started high school and met some great girls.

I always felt like the odd one out that year. No boobs, no friends, new house, new school, but I also had my first boyfriend - even though that only lasted a few weeks - he was new to the school as well. He was a year older than me and had come over from England, so I thought it was all great, until he asked me to have sex ... so it was goodbye and don't talk to me again, thank you very much!! I mean I was 12!

I'm sure that all girls of 12 feel awkward, it is the time between childhood and being a teenager, but even though so many things seemed to be hard that year, I still look fondly back as these photos and think that life really wasn't too bad after all.

My 12th birthday party, that's me with the long white socks with my brother and 2 friends of the family - oh and the boyfriend is on the end. Oh and the dress was a gorgeous mustard colour, with brown and white checked collar that my Mum made.


This is my Mum and Step-Dad's wedding, the first time I got to wear stockings - and yes they were stocking with suspenders, not pantyhose. I still have the soft lemon bridesmaid dress with lace sleeves that Mum made in my wardrobe.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I just love these pictures! Thanks so much for sharing them! I have so many memories like the ones you've just described. At the time it seemed so difficult and hard, but now, looking back, I realize life wasn't that bad at all.

    But I certainly know what an awkward age 12 can be, I know that must've been magnified quite a bit when you add in a new step dad and school! I'm sure that was quite a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the old tissues-in-the-bra trick. That brings back my own memories of that age!

    12 was an awkward age for me too. Braces, no boobs and a really dodgy haircut. *sigh* At least we survived, hey?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only did we survive we became awesome woman to boot. xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails