Welcome to my blog.

My blog expresses my views and thoughts and in no way intends to offend however that does not guarantee it wont.

I write in a stream of consciousness and sometimes the odd typo or bad grammar may appear - please excuse these.

Please feel free to leave a comment if something inspires you to do so.




Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sentimental Sundays - Our Sign



My f-i-l was know as Grumpy to all his grandchildren, my hubby is known as Grumpy to his as well. Many years ago my f-i-l bought a sign at a garage sale that he proudly hung by his front door. Even after he died my m-i-l left it there. When she moved into the nursing home it disappeared and thought it was gone. So imagine my surprise when it was among the thing she had kept and it was given to us.




Unfortunately I am not prepared to hang it by the front door, they lived in the country and there it was safe, we live in the city and I am not so sure that someone would not help themselves to the sign if they liked it.

I am hoping to get my hubby to put it up in our backyard as it will be safer there. It is a strange little heirloom, but it reminds my so much of my f-i-l's wit, and when I read it I can't help but remember his sparkling blue eyes surrounded by laugh lines. Miss you Eddie.


9 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! We got a similar sign to hang on my parent's door: "An old fisherman lives here with the catch of his life!" He's still got it hanging on his wall! (Because he knows it's the TRUTH!!)

    Glad you've got it back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WANT ONE! Actually I want one that says "An old cricketer lives here with the catch of his life"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cute - I love family "heirlooms" like this :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Fisherman sign. The catch of his life is so much more personal than 'A Nice Lady'.

    Lucy maybe you can get the cricketer one made up.

    Kelly, I love quirky little things like this too which is why I was so happy when it got handed over to us to continue using it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's just such a lovely story - and I do love that sign!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad the sign turned up as the words are still so true with the Grumpy name being carried on. Your front door is not visible from the street but you still don't think it would be safe?
    Eddie is one person who was larger than life and never to be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww that is gorgeous! What a great story.

    OMgosh, AFANM, that is priceless too: "the catch of his life"... *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that sign. We call my Dad Grumpy too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL terrific sign and story :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails